1/15/2014

Supposed-To-Be The Best Poutine In Montreal But I Didn't Think So
モントリオールで1番美味しいと言われているプーティンを食べてみたけれど、1番だとは思わなかった

(Japanese follows. / 日本語は以下へ続く。)

Since I arrived at Montreal, I've been eating poutine 3 nights in a row and tonight, we went to one of the Montreal's Top Five Poutine Joints.
The one we went to was La Banquise and it's located in a residential district.
However, the sign and the wall were so bright that you won't miss it if you're on the correct street.
See? Yellow.

When we got there was a little bit after 7:30PM and we're lucky to have a table without waiting though 80% of the tables were taken.
But in about 10 minutes, this restaurant got full and there're some people waiting for tables.

They brought us English menu.

On the first page, there's a history of the restaurant and it's quite interesting.
This restaurant started as an ice cream shop in 1968.
Fall in 1969, they had the restaurant as 24hr open snack bar with hot-dogs and fries.
In 1980s, they brought poutine on the menu and they only had 2 kinds of poutines but to accommodate requests from customers, they have 30 poutines today.

They have 30 kinds of poutines and I got regular one called "La Classique" and also I got Onion Rings.

La Classique
This is my poutine.
The fries looked much darker than I thought.
The fries weren't burnt but I'd say it's "too golden brown" to me.
Gravy sauce wasn't that salty to compare with the one at Frite Alors! and I liked this less-salty gravy sauce.
Cheese curds were chewy and there're enough amount to consume with fries.

This was at the bottom of the fries and there're some others like this.
It's dark brown fries, which were almost burnt fries.
I just didn't understand how they could put these on the plate.

Onion Rings
It's served with 2 little packages of honey.

I'd never had onion rings with honey, so I decided to try.

I dipped a onion ring into honey.
I didn't taste much honey, maybe it wasn't enough.
But I'd rather have regular onion rings without adding unusual "sauce" to them.

The breading was thin and crispy, so it was pretty good onion rings.
However, again, I found seriously black burnt object on the plate.
I just wonder why the heck this restaurant put these burnt cr*p on a plate and just serve as it's normal.

My husband ordered La Chicks which they put breaded chicken over the regular poutine.
But the meat looked like reformed chicken so it had a weird texture.
He said he wished the chicken was a real chicken cutlet.

Sadly, this place wasn't my #1 place in Montreal.
I liked the gravy sauce but I didn't like the almost-brown fries and didn't understand why they could put the burnt pieces in the plates for customers.

So far, I'd say McDonald's poutine is my favorite but wish the fries were thicker.


La Banquise
994, rue Rachel East, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2J 2J3

Open: 24hr

<< Cash only >>
* There's an ATM machine in the restaurant. Convenient, eh?


モントリオールに到着してから、
3日連続夕食にプーティンを食べている。
今日行ったのは、先日参考にしたモントリオールのプーティントップ5」で
ナンバー1 だった La Banquise と言うお店。
お店は住宅街にあるけれど、写真の通り看板も店舗の壁も黄色で目立つので
正しいエリアにさえ行けば簡単に見つけられる。

19:30過ぎにお店に着き、8割ほど席は埋まっていたけれど
待たずに座ることができた。
10分くらい経つと店内は満席になり、並んで待ってる人もいた。

英語のメニューが出されて、1ページ目にはお店の歴史が載っていた。
このお店は1968年にアイスクリーム屋として開店し、
翌年の1969年秋にはホットドッグとフライドポテトを売る
24時間営業のファストフードのお店になった。
1980年代にプーティンをメニューに追加。
当時は2種類だけだったのが、お客からのリクエストが続き
現在では30種類のプーティンが提供されている。

多店舗のプーティンと比較するため、
La Classique (オーソドックスなプーティン)」を注文し、
オニオンリングも頼んだ。

La Classique (ラ・クラシック)
出されたプーティンのポテトは、
キツネ色と言うよりは揚げ過ぎのような色。
グレービーソースは Frite Alors! に比べるとしょっぱさが少なく食べやすかった。
大量のポテトと一緒に食べるのに十分な量のチーズカードが乗っていた。
下の方には焦げ茶色になったポテトがいくつかあった。
これを取り除かずに出すお店ってどうなんでしょう。

オニオンリング
お皿にはハチミツが入ったミニパッケージが2個乗っていた。
オニオンリングにハチミツを付けたことはないけれど、
せっかくなのでハチミツを付けてみることにした。
ハチミツの量が少なかったのか、甘さは感じられなかった。
甘い物を付けて食べることに慣れていないので、
ハチミツの量を増やすことなく、最初の1つ以外はそのまま食べた。
衣は薄くカリッと揚がっていて美味しかった。
ただ、このお皿には本当に真っ黒に焦げた物体が乗っていたので、
増々このお店の神経を疑ってしまった。

旦那が注文したのは「ラ・チックス」で、
プーティンの上にチキンカツが乗ったもの。
チキンカツと書かれていたけれど、実際に出されたのは
成形肉で、グニッとした食感だったため、
旦那は「普通のチキンカツだったら良かったなぁ」と言っていた。


残念ながら、このお店のプーティンは1番ではないと思った。
グレービーソースは美味しいと思ったけれど、
茶色になったポテトは好みではないのと
丸焦げの物体をお客に出すことが理解できなかった。

今のところ、マックのプーティンが1番美味しいと思った。
ポテトがもう少し太かったらもっと美味しいはず。


この店舗は24時間営業。
<< 現金のみ >>
* 店内にATMがあるので、引き出し可。

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments :

コメントを投稿